Here are some rustic but useful tips that I have either stumbled upon or invented.
1. Wrap fresh herbs in a damp paper towel and store in the refridgerator. They will stay fresh for up to 10 days.
2. Add a splash of white vinegar when cooking rice. It will prevent the grains from sticking.
3. Burnt food in a pan? Scrape off excess, swirl some dishwashing liquid, add 2 cups water and bring to a boil. The burnt food will wash off easily
4. Keep a large bowl handy on the counter to throw in garbage as you go along. It will save you time going back and forth to the garbage can
5. Does your ice cream get freezer burn? Cover the surface of the ice cream with saran wrap or store the tub upside down in the freezer
6. Portion tomato purée or chopped tomatos in ice cube trays and use as needed for your masalas and sauces
7. Wrap eggplant in foil paper and bake at 400’c for 45 mins. Cool, peel and use pulp to make some eggplant dip
8. Use a paper towel to get a good grip when skinning poultry